Wednesday, October 30, 2013

ARC Review : The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins

What if the perfect match is a perfect surprise? 

Honor Holland has just been unceremoniously rejected by her lifelong crush. And now—a mere three weeks later—Mr. Perfect is engaged to her best friend. But resilient, reliable Honor is going to pick herself up, dust herself off and get back out there…or she would if dating in Manningsport, New York, population 715, wasn't easier said than done. 

Charming, handsome British professor Tom Barlow just wants to do right by his unofficial stepson, Charlie, but his visa is about to expire. Now Tom must either get a green card or leave the States—and leave Charlie behind. 

In a moment of impulsiveness, Honor agrees to help Tom with a marriage of convenience—and make her ex jealous in the process. But juggling a fiancé, hiding out from her former best friend and managing her job at the family vineyard isn't easy. And as sparks start to fly between Honor and Tom, they might discover that their pretend relationship is far too perfect to be anything but true love….

Paperback, 448 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Harlequin HQN
ISBN 0373778198 (ISBN13: 9780373778195)
Blue Heron #2 series

Add to GOODREADS or Buy it From BOOK DEPOSITORY or AMAZON


* * * * *
Okay, where do I start?
This was my very first of Kristan Higgins. First, I'd like to apologize to one of my best friends, Vita, who had recommended me Higgins books many times but I was just like, yeah, they have high ratings, but well, maybe some other time, and then I forget it.
I have no idea why I pick this one. Totally random. 

As you all know, it's an arranged relationship. Benefit. Mutual. Whatever. It's one of my favorite theme, and a bit reminded me of The Proposal (Sandra Brown and Ryan Reynolds), one of my all-time-favorite movie. The heroine, Honor, had a crush on her best friend for 17 years. They had sex casually, on and off. But while Honor's thinking about marriage, Bra--- what's his name? Brandon? Bradon? Bro--... Hmm, now I totally understand why Tom always said the wrong name (although I believe he did it on purpose! God, I loved him!). *checking on the ARC. Ah! It's Brogan. 
Okay, it turned out Brogan saw Honor (or On) as a friend only. God! I really wanted to kick him. And shake Honor a little to open her eyes. But well, I don't need to. Brogan made it clear. And even clearer after a few weeks when he invited Honor to Rourke's bar, along with Dana.

A cat fight. I, myself, didn't expect to see Honor doing it. But she did. And certainly became the latest/hottest gossip because it's Honor! The boring one of all Holland girls. But I loved her! 


And Tom. While Honor despised him (at first) the moment he opened his mouth, I just fell in love hard with him. Yes, he's a bit twitting with sarcasm, but wait, what's not to love about him? The British accent? Well, it's just one of the reasons. A professor with bad boy appearance? Broad shoulders, tattoo ... along with great sense of humor? Can I have one, please? Well, he's flirty. But he's friendly, easy to get along with, and cared about people a lot. And ... since I'm a sucker for the 'darling' endearment, Tom's certainly won my heart. *sigh...


Anyway, I loved almost all characters in this book. The Hollands family. The friends. Even Dana, for being bitchy and selfish. I loved the relationship, good and bad, built between characters. Especially Honor and Tom, and Tom with Charlie, his unofficial stepson.


At first, I stopped reading after prologue for couple days not because it's not great, but it's because of my mood. But once I rolled into Chapter 1 , I couldn't put it down. The story line was pretty simple and easy to follow, but deep enough with intense emotions. The sex scene was not overwhelming so I don't really have to skip/skim it.
I cried twice (or was it three?) while reading this book. I smiled and grinned often (thank God I was home alone). I sighed and melted while dreamily imagining Tom. 

I really loved this book! It's simple yet entertaining. It's certainly a must have and now I'm officially a fan of Kristan Higgins.


*This is an e-ARC I received from Harlequin via Net Galley for an honest review. And I honestly love it! A lot!





**My review could do no justice to the book. If you happened to not like it, please don't feel the same way toward the book. :)


Add to GOODREADS or Buy it From BOOK DEPOSITORY or AMAZON



1 comment:

  1. I haven't read her stuff either so don't feel bad. They always look good including this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete